Things That Surprised Me About Egypt Travel


Things That Surprised Me About Egypt Travel

1. It's not as dangerous as you think it is

The first question people asked me when I returned from this trip was: Is it safe to travel to Egypt?
I know Egypt isn't regarded as one of the safest places to travel right now (and if you read the US State Department's past travel warnings about Egypt, you'll probably be convinced that ISIS will come for you if you step foot in the country). And it's true that terrorist groups are active in certain parts of the country.
But the main touristy sites in Egypt are no more dangerous than popular places you might visit in the US or Europe. There's a strong military presence at most major sites in Egypt – armed guards, metal detectors, and bag checks become second nature as you visit temples and museums – but I didn't find myself feeling “in danger” at any point.

2. The kids especially are incredibly friendly

I expected to get some extra attention as a white, non-Muslim woman traveling in Egypt. But what I didn't expect was that I would become an instant celebrity every time I walked outside!
At many major sites (especially in Cairo and Alexandria), me and my tour mates were constantly being approached by young Egyptians (and occasionally older ones!) asking us for selfies.

3. The food in Egypt is unique and tasty

You'll find a lot of traditionally Middle-Eastern foods in Egypt (like falafel and shawarma and kofta), and also some Moroccan dishes like tagine. But Egypt's take is always a little unique – I noticed a lot of cinnamon in many dishes I tried!
If you're looking to try a unique Egyptian dish, go for a bowl of Kushari (or Koshary). It's a mixture of rice, pasta, lentils, and chickpeas, topped with onion and a tomato sauce. It's known as the national dish of Egypt, and can be had extremely cheaply (think less than $1 USD for a bowl).
4. All the ancient sites are 10x better in real life
The constant need to tip is more than made up for by the fact that all the ancient sites you'll visit in Egypt – all the tombs and temples and ruins – are 10 times better in person than they are in any photos or documentaries you've seen. Seriously. Egypt's history is incredible, and so much of it has been preserved!
One thing that didn't surprise me about traveling in Egypt
It's not the Western world
Even though many Western tourists visit Egypt, it's important to remember that Egypt is not a Western country. Egypt is both part of the Middle-East and North Africa, too, and our guide kept reminding us “we're not a first-world country here, guys.
THIS is why you travel to Egypt.



Comments

Popular Posts